Thursday, March 13, 2008

Movie Geekiness: New "Incredible Hulk" trailer



Here we go again ...

Well, Universal and Marvel are giving us another Hulk movie, and this time it's Edward Norton filling the role of Bruce Banner, brilliant gamma radiation scientist with a hot girlfriend (Liv Tyler) and a SERIOUS anger management problem. Now, I've said this time and again and I will defend it to the end--I didn't think the last Hulk, starring Eric Bana as Banner and Jennifer Connolly (now and forever gorgeous), was that bad. It had a truly ambitious, thoughtful script and strong performances. It was simply mired by some truly silly special effects and a few bad ideas (the gamma-irradiated dogs just don't work as well in the movies as they do in the comics). In the end, the film was doomed by those bad choices and some pacing issues, and was deemed one of Marvel's more costly movie flops of the past ten years.

Now we have this movie, which was announced last year right before San Diego Comic-Con and generated significant buzz through its casting of Norton, another fantastic actor, in the role perhaps defined best by the late Bill Bixby in the '70s TV show. From what can be seen in the trailer, this film actually has quite a bit in common with the old show: Banner in hiding, trying to find a cure for his condition while keeping the rage in check, the eyes going green when the not-so-jolly Green Giant does show up. But for the first time on film really, the script throws the Hulk up against a villain in his same weight class as far as strength, a villain known in the comics as Emil Blonsky, aka the Abomination. The trailer promises that the battle between these two gamma-irradiated tyrants will truly be something to behold ... just imagine a WWE grudge match when both wrestlers can pick up and throw buildings at each other.

What do want to bet, just due to the promise of that kind of carnage, that this movie makes even more bank than Iron Man, which will show up in theaters just one month before?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you on the more bank than Ironman. I think Iron Man has been better marketed than this. And you can't deny, when you see Robert Downey, you think "fuck yeah". I love Ed Norton..but I don't think he's gonna draw them in as much as Tony freaking Stark.

Just my opinion.

Plus...I myself, can't get past CG hulk....growing up in the days of Lou Ferigno and a bad wig, has tainted me. To me, that's always gonna be the Hulk.

Felix Ramon Albuerne said...

You may be right, and if you are, no one will be happier than I--I'd love to be proven wrong on this one! Everything about "Iron Man" from what I've seen rings of authenticity--casting Downey Jr. is perfect, the suits look amazing, I'm completely psyched for it. :)

It's just me being a tad cynical when I throw out the possibility of "Incredible Hulk" being a bigger hit because it looks like it's going to be more brutally violent.